Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bull Run 2010

Running on this year’s edition of the Bull Run was not on our list until we learned that our friend Chiqui will be running her first official race in this event. Chiqui has been running with us for quite some time inside UP Diliman campus during weekends. We have been encouraging her to join races and feel the excitement of being one of the participants. Anyway, because of previous hesitation, we registered late and was not able to register for the 5K (our intention was to join Chiqui) and instead for the 10K. It was good to know that Chiqui will be accompanied by her officemates, so we just have to meet after the race.

Long run before the race
Another reason for the hesitation to register on this race was because it will be the schedule of my last long run as part of training for the Condura Run 42K. So instead of having our long run on Sunday, we did it on Saturday, the day before the Bull Run race. Swthrt and I went to Bonifacio High Street at around 5:30am and were set to run the New Balance 21K route. I told Swthrt that after doing the 21K she may opt to wait for me at Honda Cars Global while I will add more mileage to complete my target goal of at least 35K. It was a good run up until we turned right at McKinley Hills where I felt a severe pain on my left knee going downhill. The pain became more persistent and intense as we continued our run and just finish our workout at BHS. I decided not complete my target. I might jeopardize my first try on the full marathon come February. When we reached home I immediately put ice on my left knee (cold compress).

The race
Come Sunday morning, I felt better with my knee but there was still pain. Swthrt and I agreed on running the race at an easy pace so as not to aggravate my knee pain. We started the race easily with pain on my left knee. The pain stayed up to about 2 km where I found my rhythm. The pain subsided until we finished the race in 1:09:+. We were happy about the race. It was well organized. Chiqui seemed to enjoy her first race and we have a nice and easy 10K run. I don’t know if others have used this course but it was also a new race course for us. We were also glad to see Anna (meekrunner) and her family, Jonel (Bugobugo) and other friends after the race. But the best of it all was I got my Baldie finisher medal in the 32K Rizal Day Run and a copy of the maiden issue of “Front Runner”. Congratulations Jonel on your new baby! More power to the magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment