Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Yakult 10-Miler recap

This year’s Yakult 10-Miler race was so far the longest and toughest race for me. After missing the 15K VSO race because of flu, I have looked forward for this race. I have joined several 5K and 10K races since I started running last May this year. And my goal was to run my first 10miler (16K) within this year… And it came to reality last Sunday at Roxas Boulevard.

Preparation
I admit that I religiously prepared for this race. I tried hard to be consistent on my running schedules and increased mileage to build up my endurance. I even tried a 16K simulation run once. It was also timely that Sir Jovie (The BaldRunner) offered a speed-training clinic for runners. Knowing that the invitation was for the hardcore runners, I tried my chance and ask him if beginners like me and Swthrt can join. And as a kind and generous person, he eventually welcome us to the training. We tried our best to be present at the sessions (Tuesdays and Fridays). We have to skip the Wednesday session because that’s the time we host a bible study at home. With the three sessions (read on my previous post) that we have attended, we really learned a lot.

The Race
We woke up at around 3:00am to get ready for the race. Ate breakfast of oatmeal and boiled eggs. One thing that I have learned in training is that you really have to eat a meal before a race especially on a longer race. I usually skip breakfast and just have a cup or two of coffee to boost me during the race. Swthrt and I were on our way to CCP complex by 4:00am. As we arrived there, we were led by other runners in their Yakult singlets to the starting area. We were able to park along the road just behind the starting area. We immediately pinned our race bibs and headed for the starting area to check in. Swthrt went with the 5K runners while I joined the 16K runners. There I saw runner-bloggers Vener(Rununlmtd) and wife Christy, Jinoe (Manokan Express), Gigi (fitmommy) and Jonel(Bugobugo85). And again after the opening ceremonies, the gun was fired and the 16k runners were off. Our route was to turn right at the Roxas Blvd and run all the way to Airport Rd where the first turn around marker was located. This was the toughest part of the route because we have to pass through 2 overpasses back and forth going to the second turn around point at Luneta near the Manila Hotel. As we made our way to Roxas Blvd., I saw Vener taking pictures and even running ahead of us to get good shots. It was as if he did not run a 42K a week ago. After turning right at Roxas Blvd., the runner-bloggers begun their move and accelerated to their own paces. Slowly and one by one they disappeared from my sight, huhuhu. And the other runners continued to pass me by. At this point I remembered Sir Jovie’s advise not to be overwhelmed by the fast runner and just continue to run my race. And so I continued on and gain back my confidence in running. The second test arose when I felt dry on my throat with just after a kilometre of running and I knew that the water stations were located at the 2.5K marker. I tried to keep a steady pace until I reached the first water station. From then on I regained strength and was able to sustain to reach the next water station to another. Another test was engaging the flyover. We have to do these four times and I’m proud to say that I was able to conquer it without walking. I did shorter and quick strides until I reached the top. I ran at a steady pace going to Baclaran. I kept on hearing in my mind Coach Espejo’s voice echoing “run on a straight line” and “land on your balls” (that is the ball of your feet). I managed to make it to the first turn around point at the Airport Road in Baclaran. And saw the runner-bloggers making there way back. There I also saw Jay (Promehteus Cometh) and Doc Joe (Looneyrunner) along the way. From this point on I ran without problems. I targeted on runners whom I can keep pace with throughout the race. I tried to increase my pace from time to time. The sight of the CCP complex on my way back gave me added strength to go on. I knew that there would only be a few more kilometres to go. There were no kilometer markers along the route and so the nike+ipod helped me determine how far I have ran. It was also a good thing that there was enough cold water at every hydration station located strategically. Marshals even handed over water in cups to runners. Because of this, I was able to try what I’ve learned in training regarding taking water and drinking it without stopping or walking. Before, I used to slow down nearing a water station and then stop to drink and then run. Now, I know the technique that would save me few seconds or even minutes of time. I continued on until the second turned around point at Luneta near the Manila Hotel where I decided to accelerate hoping to finish below 2 hrs. I was able to catch up on Doc Gigi and got to introduce myself just before reaching CCP complex. As we turn right going to the finish, the marshals were cheering on and shouting that it’s the last 500 meters to the finish line. It was an accomplishment well cherished as I saw Swthrt cheering me on at the finish line. I finished with unofficial time of 1:48: +. I thank the Lord that He gave me strength throughout the race. To God be the glory.

Swthrt’s run
Swthrt ran the 5K with pain even at the early stage of the race. She was able to finish it but was not satisfied with the result. The unresolved cause of the pain on her shin and foot still bothers her. We just hope that it’s nothing serious and that she just need to strengthen her shins and leg muscles. And have her body adapt well to running.

Recovery
I was able to do my active recovery run last Monday at the ULTRA. Another lesson learned from the two wise men (Coach Espejo and Coach Salazar) as Jonel would put it that it is better to have an active recovery than to rest in bed. This will help minimize if not eliminate the soreness of the leg muscles. I did 3 laps for warm up run and then do stretching before running 30 minutes at 70% intensity effort. That will be at least 4 min./lap according to my personal chart. It was really effective and I’m now ready to be back in training tonight at the ULTRA.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats again...smells like half marathon is now within sight...(early to)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had a quick munch of muesli before the race. It help provide some energy and not to be hungry while running.

    You had a good race too. Sarap ng long runs, right? So 21K na sa Condura?

    More TLC lang siguro para kay Swthrt for her shins. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice seeing you Bro J! And congrats on your 10-miler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Bro J. You finally made it! Sorry couldn't stay long to cheer for you at the finish line. Had to leave coz my children were already clamoring for Jollibee breakfast. Didn't race for this one. Just accompanied my kids run/walk their first 3k race. A tearjerking experience but truly memorable.

    Will I see you at the UP ICTUS Run this Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to both of you. Savor the experience of racing a longer route, take a deep breath and aim for the half next. You're one foot closer to it, good luck. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you and your wife Bro J!

    Like I said before, you'll surely be craving longer races now. Good luck also to Swthrt's shins. If pain doesn't go away, best to have it checked by a doctor too, para sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations BroJ. You did it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much to all, you're part of this achievement because of the encouragement and inspiration i get from you runner-bloggers. Maraming salamat po!, hahaha
    Pang-Awards night speech ba?

    ReplyDelete