Monday, August 4, 2008

My first 10K run

It was a great day last Saturday, August 02, 2008. I ran a distance of 10 km. My longest since I started running last May of this year. It was a goal I set to gauge myself if I can run and finish a 10K race. I woke up at around 4 o’clock in the morning which is my regular wake up time. After drinking a cup of coffee, I returned to bed thinking if I will still run since there was drizzle. At around 5:30… I decided to run. After drinking another cup of coffee and doing some stretching, I am ready to go. I’m off the road at 5:50 am. My course was from our home going down to Libis to E. Rodriguez up to corner of J. Vargas, my turn around point. Then, all the way back home. The distance is approximately 10K. It was an easy run for the first 2K, maybe because I was excited. I was running at my regular pace of around 7min per km. As I reached Shopwise, I went slower thinking that it will be a long way to go. I also noticed that the course was not all flat. I reached shell station at 38+ min (kilometer 5) on my stop watch. I took a short stop for about 2 min. to buy a bottle of Rush at Shell Select which I brought on my way back. It was more difficult on my last 5K since I’m beginning to feel tired. There was also this uncomfortable pain on my foot, which I assumed caused by blisters. As I reached Honda Libis, It gave me an added strength knowing that there will only be a few more kilometers ahead to finish my run. The challenging part of the course was my way up the Libis area going to Boni Serrano. I finished the course at 1:19:48. Not bad, I hope for a first timer. After the run, I have my breakfast of fried adobo, egg and rice prepared by my sweetheart.

My log:
Date: August 2, 2008 Distance: 10K Time: 01:19:48




Setting a goal and being determined on doing it makes one’s run more meaningful. You know that you have accomplished something. But running the course is something else. There will always be obstacles along the way. There will be different experiences in different parts of the course. Just like in the spiritual runs, we can set goals to make us grow in our trust and obedience to God. We can make ourselves determined to be sensitive in His leadings. And our ultimate goal of finishing the race and be with our Lord and Savior. The course is not at all easy; it’s not all flat roads. These things makes us better runners, better Christians. But if we focus our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith then we will have the strength to do it. How about us, what are our spiritual goals, commitments that we set for God’s pleasure? What are the experiences we have? You will be surprised at how God has given you strength to do it. God bless us all!

1 comment:

  1. You are such an encouragement... continue doing what is best for your body and spirit! God bless!

    ReplyDelete