Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The story of my first marathon: Condura Run 2010

Our day started at 2:00am. Swthrt and I had a pouch of instant oat meal and soft boiled egg (actually intended to be hard boiled, he he he) for breakfast. We then prepared our hydration gears(vitwater endurance and GU gels) and the food we prepared for my post race meal. This was the first time that we have prepared foods such as bananas, pocarri sweat, vitwater, nature valley energy bar for a post race meal. Before we left our home, we had a short prayer for protection and the strength from our Lord Jesus Christ.

We arrived at the venue at around 3:00am and after a brief parking, we immediately had our warm-up run and stretching. We met friends who gave encouragements for they knew this was my marathon debut. After having the power kiss from Swthrt (she ran the half marathon) I checked in as soon as I heard the announcement for the 42k runners to check in. At the starting area, more friends have given their encouragements. I also met runners from Vigan City, Ilocos Sur who was introduced to me by my officemate George. Soon after the opening ceremony and fireworks display, we were off to a good started.

My target time for this race was 5 hours and 30 minutes. The truth was, I had other hidden targets such as best time of 5:15 and a dream target of 5:00. I even scheduled my lap time per 10 km. I had a good start and have keep in mind not to be carried away by the fast runners. I kept on echoing in my mind that I have to run this on my own pace. Going to Bayani Road was no problem as I was familiar with the area. I reached 10K mark at 1:08. This was faster than my target time and so I have to slow down. For the next 10k, I was enjoying my run and had to remind myself not go too fast. When I reached the 21K marker it was 2:29.07. The run at the Skyway was a different experience. Half of the road was all for the runners. You just have to enjoy the moment. When I saw the next kilometre marker which is 25K, I knew the challenge will be up ahead. I had only run twice in my training the distance over 25K. As I made my turn around at the Bicutan Skyway exit, I was beginning to feel tightness with my leg muscles. I had to take a walk every time I felt my muscle was starting to cramp. The greatest challenge was the Heartbreak Hill of Skyway which was along the NAIA 3 interchange. I was planning to take it running with short strides at slow pace but like a car with low power engine, I cranked up and had to run-walk alternately. As I made my way back to Skyway heading for Buendia, I was able to hold my sanity by following the pace of a group of runners in Timex Ironman singlets as they run-walk the remaining part of the course. Upon reaching the Takbo.ph and Rienier Pacific Aid Station, I was graciously handed a banana by a young child and was given a liniment spray and massage by mckoy of Takbo.ph. The cheers and encouragements of the volunteers in this station really kept us runners going. I continued to follow the group of runners up until Makati Ave. I reached Km35 at 4:26.33, and the last big challenge of the course is the Kalayaan Flyover squeezing all the strength left in me. When I reached Fort Bonifacio, I was already struggling with the heat and the pain on my legs. I was praying that God would sustain my energy. My fear then was I would have a muscle cramp that would really prevent me from running or even just walking. So I have to walk every time I felt my legs are tightening up. I picked on another runner to keep pace. When i saw the marker that has the last 2 km sign, I said to myself, “Kaya mo yan, malapit na!” And I did it over and over. And it was the longest 2km of my life. And when I reached the final kilometre mark, I looked at my watch and saw that it was 5:22.26. And to hit my target I needed to run it within 8 min or faster. With all that I have gone through, there is no way that I can run that fast. As I made my turn at 5th Avenue I made the final push until the finish line. And there’s no better way to finish it than by seeing Swthrt waiting at the finish line. I did it in 5:32:12!

For all that I have experienced throughout this race, I thanked God for the strength He gave me to finish the race! To God be the glory!

10 comments:

  1. Hi BroJ congrats! That's a good finish for a first timer.. - SundayWarrior

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Bro J! So happy for your new accomplishment! - Jun & Mariel

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow bro j, 5:32:12! and the best si swthrt waiting sa finish line! congratulations bro j!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats! sa wakas, you did your first! from here everything is already easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much to all! you have been a great part of making my dream a reality. The encouragements, tips, cheers means a lot to me. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Bro J! The first is always the sweetest. Somebody up there was looking after you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Bro J! I am so happy for you. I could see how hard it was for you specially in the last few kilometers but you overcame it. Enjoy this moment cause you deserve it! -Jay/prometheus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, BroJ! ;) Wow, nag-level up ka na!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jay. Good luck on your BDM run.

    Thanks Sir Amado, your aid support truly helped many runners.

    Thanks Roselle. Congratulations too on your run.

    ReplyDelete