Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Speed training with the Team BaldRunner

It was a hectic day for us last Friday. Aside from Swthrt’s birthday, we also have to fetch her parents from the airport who live with her sister abroad. And yes, they are here for the Holidays. And to top it all, we joined the Team BaldRunner in their speed training clinic at the ULTRA late in the afternoon. Sir Jovie (BaldRunner) graciously offered to have Swthrt’s running form checked by the Team’s Head Coach, Captain Espejo to diagnose her recurring knee and shin pains.

We arrived at the ULTRA at around 5:30pm. We were greeted by Sir Jovie, Jonel (Bugobugo), Philip (Foreignrunner), Lester, Capt. Espejo and the rest of the elite team members. The session started with 10-15 minutes warm-up followed by stretching. By this time I realized that the stretching we did on our own was really not enough. We have learned better ways to stretch the different muscle groups of our body. Afterwards, we did specific warm-ups focusing on the leg muscles. All these were done under the supervision of Coach Espejo and Coach Salazar. After the drills, runners were divided into groups and were given their workout assignments for the day. I was asked to run with my best effort for 30 minutes. This will be my diagnostic run which I supposed, will determine the baseline for my training program. While Swthrt was asked to walk to rest her knees and shins. He was accompanied by Coach Salazar and was also given a lot of running tips.

I was introduced to running by my officemate, George who has already run several marathons. He taught me the basics in running and from time to time gives me tips to improve my performance. He also helped me prepare my race plans in all the races I joined. I always do my workouts alone and this Friday run was my first time to run in an oval track under the supervision of a running coach. It was different in the sense that I cannot take it easy on my running or even have a walk break in the whole 30 minutes that I was asked to run. As I finished each lap Coach Espejo shouted my lap time. The Coach’s daughter was also kind enough to hand me water after 15 minutes of continuous running, heating the half-point. After the workouts, we all have a good stretching. It was a great training day for Swthrt and I as we were introduced to a new form of real workout supervised by a great running coach. Welcome to the world of speed training…

Thank you very much sir Jovie and the Team Bald Runner!



The training with a coach was something new for me. Believe me, that 30 minute run was the hardest run I ever did. I didn’t want to walk because it might disappoint the coach. I run in best effort because I was told to do so. I did every instruction the coach asked me to do. I am taking the training seriously. As I look back, I gained more because I obeyed every word that the coach, an expert in such a field asked from me. In our spiritual walk, we gain knowledge and wisdom because of obeying God. Are we considering God as the Coach of our life? And that we will do every thing He asked us to do. Now I know why I continue to fail in most areas of my life’s journey, because I did not hear the voice of my life’s coach, Jesus. I often do things in my way (which most of the time the wrong way) and in the end failed miserably. How about you? Who’s voice do you listen to? Are you willing to obey Him now?


2 comments:

  1. Glad to have met you and your wife. It is great that you joined team Baldrunner. I could not have said it better but would want to add, even sometimes we do the right thing but without him in the decision it can turn out into a disaster. It is a good parable to use when it comes to spirituality. Jesus himself uses running and the conotation of the race a few times. Especially to the Romans as they were very much into running even their mail men were runners. Keep it up and even more so in your relationship with God through Christ the only Saviour. God bless and enjoy time with the parents in law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip, it was nice meeting you too at the training. Thanks for bringing it up that even we do the right thing but without God in the decision making then it can turn out into a disaster. I agree to that bro. God bless you too and to your ministry.See you at the training.

    ReplyDelete