Tuesday, September 22, 2009

15K@ ROTA

It was a fair weather for the runners at last Sunday’s ROTA Run. It was our second tune up race for the 21K run at the New Balance Power Run this coming Sunday, September 25, 2009. Being held in the dreaded McKinley Hills, it certainly gave runners a great challenge. Swthrt and I arrived at the venue at around 5 am and noticed the volume of vehicles trying to get in the parking building. I finally decided to park at our office compound in NAMRIA (Lawton Ave. cor Bayani Rd.). It was about a kilometer away from the venue. We then run towards MKH which served as our warm-up run. We were then joined by Swthrt’s officemate, Leng who will be running her first 15K. After the short opening ceremony and briefing of the runners on the race route, the 21K runners were released at gun start. We then patiently waited for our turn. The 10K and 15K runners were released simultaneously.

The race
At the gun start Swthrt and I started at our regular slow pace but for whatever reason I started to feel a sudden increased heart rate. It was only the start of the race and we were just heading to the British Embassy. I suddenly remembered the lesson of “learning to listen to your body.” I slowed down a bit and just kept a 50 to 100 meter distance from Swthrt. I just wanted to thank God that after the turning point at the British Embassy my heart beat became normal and I slowly neared Swthrt and Leng. From then on, I was able to run well and Swthrt and I were able to finish the 15K distance at 1:45:+. Leng was also able to finish her race, too.

Race organization
It was a good race except for the 21K runners who were complaining it was short of 3K. There was also again the issue of water shortage and short hydration table along the route. The marshals were great especially in securing the left lane of the Bayani Road. These make the road safe for runners running this part of the course. I know the Takbo.ph people have tried their very best to give the runners a well organized race given the short time they assume responsibilities for it. I hope lessons were learned and better races will be organized by them in the future. Congratulations to the Takbo.ph!

See you at the New Balance Power Run this Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bro J - Good luck on your 21K Power Run on 27Sep09. I shall be on the 10K for my recup stage. See you then!

    ReplyDelete