Thursday, May 26, 2011

Has the fire and enthusiasm in running and blogging gone?

I knew running as a sport has been in the country for a long time but I’m glad to have been part of the great resurgence two to three years ago. I found a new interest in running three years ago when you can still keep track of all the races held in Metro Manila. There were only one or two races then, held every month. But things have drastically changed over the years with the emergence of running blogs that ignited the fire and enjoined everyone to jump on the bandwagon of road races. I myself has been bitten by the bug so to speak. Today, simultaneous races are happening not only on Sundays but even on Saturdays. But has the fire and enthusiasm of runners to run and blog gone?

What I have noticed lately is that blogs now serve as venues for advertisements, promotions, contests and inspirational articles are now commonly relegated to a simple race recap. I have nothing against this type of blogging. I too have been promoting races, injecting advertisements on this site. But I have been missing those inspiring articles by other bloggers that encourage others to run and go beyond their limits, challenging everyone to level up in distance races. This was what pushed me to strive hard, train hard and finish my first 10K race, 10 miler, half marathon and finally a full marathon. The exchanges of comments, reactions and even gatherings of bloggers added to the fun and excitement of running a road race. Yes, the numbers of runners in races today have significantly increased since then, but I have been missing those runners whom I get to know in races and blogs that in one way or another have influenced me to run. I hope you’re still running, or has the fire in you to run already died out? Or could it be that most of you have embarked into a greater challenge of ultra-running (road or trail) or multi-sports (duathlon, aquathlon,triathlon). If so, then good for you and I salute you for taking up the challenge.

But I still hope to read more encouraging stories, motivational articles and inspiring thoughts in my favorite running blogs and rekindle the fire to run and finish the race we have started. I too will try my best to do my share. See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment