Monday, April 20, 2009

Half marathon in Batangas

I love travelling and one of our destinations this summer is Batangas… Swthrt’s home province. What made our recent trip to this place very exciting for us running couple was that, we had the opportunity for LSD.

We were actually invited to the house warming of Swthrt’s brother, Ed at Avida Residence in San Isidro, Batangas City. We arrived there Saturday afternoon and stayed overnight. At dawn Sunday, Swthrt and I scheduled a run from Barangay San Isidro to Barangay Tulo (Swthrt’s place) since we will be missing weekend races scheduled on that date. The distance was estimated to be more than 10K (~10.6k). We started at around 5:00am from Avida Residence and we were joined by Ed who also ran with us during the last Christmas break.

at the boundary marker of Barangay San Isidro and Barangay Libjo


Swthrt with Ed running behind


The early part of the course was new to us up until Sitio Gulod. Swthrt felt early a slight pain on her shin but still opted to continue on. We had a comfortable pace as compared to our usual long runs since we have to follow Ed’s rusted pace (his last run was in December).



in front of SM Batangas City



uphill road at Barangay Pallocan

We reached our turn-around point which was Swthrt’s residence in Barangay Tulo in 1:25:00 without any problem. After refilling my hydration bottles, I went on my way back to our starting point. Swthrt and Ed decided to call it a day and went back home with my parents-in-law. This time I decided to pick up my pace but was slowed down from time to time because of the summer heat. I even have to pour water to my head to keep me cool. Upon reaching the Shell station beside SM City Batangas mall, I decide to buy Pocari sweat to refill my bottles. It was good thing I carried some money for contingency measures. It took me 1:10:29 to finish the second half completing my 21K run. It was a fulfilling run, simulating with the 21k runners in Greenfields City Run last Sunday, hehehe.
Prior to this run we had a 6.6K run at UPD last Saturday with our friend Chiqui. It was another fruitful weekend for us in running.

5 comments:

  1. It's a good idea to carry some cash, ID and contact numbers when you do longer runs. It's so handy when you run out of water or gatorade and just go to a store and replenish your supply of drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for you at UPD that sunday, yun pala dumayo kayo. Nice run in a scenic place. More of them, see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi vener,
    Hahaha, paminsan-minsan masarap sa sariwang hangin ng probinsya. See you in races, takbo k ba sa botak?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love running during a trip out of town or abroad? Great way to get a feel of the place. Congrats to you and swthrt for a fun LSD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jaymie, running has become our simple date. It was really fun and hope to have more running dates outside metro manila. Hope you'll be back in a road race soon!

    ReplyDelete