Monday, July 6, 2009

My 33rd Milo Marathon experience


This edition of the Milo Marathon was my second time to join and have experienced many firsts. This was the first time Milo have placed a 21K event for the Manila elimination which I joined. My first time to drink my cup of Milo after the race. It was also my first time to receive freebies from them. The last time I joined the Milo marathon was during the finals of the 32nd edition where I only joined the 10K event category. It was really a great experience to join this race.




The race plan
There was not much race preparation or game plan for me on this race. All I wanted was to beat the cut-off time of 2:30 set for the 21K event. This was my 2nd half marathon race and looking back, I was not as prepared as my first half marathon, the Condura Run 08. I once told Swthrt that I was never tensed coming into this race. 2-3 days before, I was already mentally preparing myself imagining how the race should be.


with Alwyn before the race


The race day
My cousin Alwyn, who will also be running the 21K agreed to meet us ( Swthrt was with me to give the moral support) at Honda Cars Pasig. We decided to just take a cab going to Roxas Blvd. This would take away the hassle of finding a safe place to park a car. We arrived at the place at around 5:00am. We met with friends who will also be joining the race.

with Jet Paiso and friends before checking in


The race started on time and it was a good start for me. I was at pace with Alwyn and Christy (Run Unlimited’s better half) up to EDSA flyover. I was on my own after the first turning point for 21K at the intersection of Roxas Blvd and NAIA Rd.. I tried to maintain a pace of 7min but I was not able to do it. I had an erratic pace ranging from 6:40 – 10:20 min/k. Anyway, I was still keeping track of my total time while I was running. I reached Km 10 after 1:05:44 and was quite confident that I can make within the cut-off time. As I reached the Osmena Hi-way, I began to feel that my right calf was starting to cramp. I felt slightly worried about it and slowed down on my pace. I kept away from the shower station along the way at Buendia thinking that this might aggravate the cramp I felt on my calf. I was running along Buendia Ave. singing praise and worship song to God. As I ran back to Roxas Blvd, I tried to speed up to the point where I would felt stiffness on my calf. Every time it happened I either slowed down or took a walk break. After turning right at Roxas Blvd going to the finish line, I started picking up targets (sorry guys but this would help me push my self) to catch up with. I reached the area where we started at 2:23:52 knowing that a still have 6 min to make it to the finish line. As I took the final turn and saw the finish line I knew I can beat the cut-off time. I tried to push more and heard Swthrt shouting as I entered the shoot. I finish with an unofficial time of 2:26:+.

approaching the finish line


After the race
It was a relief reaching the finish line within the cut-off time and being handed the finisher certificate and the freebies. I think this was also the first time that they have this generous giveaways for the finishers. It was also handed out orderly as they were given upon crossing the finish line. I also had my first cup of Milo after the race. Hooray for Milo!



after the race





with Roselle (aka Running Diva) after the race


with Swthrt, Thank you for the support, I love you!



To God be the glory!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats Bro. J., how's the milo post race drink? Now you're milo race is complete. Sayang, I did not see you there.

    Xty mentioned re your wonderful race, and I hope this would be the start for the full next year. Let's go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vener and Xty, you two really gave a big encouragement for me. Bitin sa Milo drink, hehehe. Buti na lang may free pa na milo sa loot bag.

    It was a wonderful run with xty, mabilis lang sya... di ako nakatagal. Paano pa sa' iyo kung full na, hahaha

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congatulations Bro J! That was an awesome time considering you were having cramps. Just make sure you rest and recover fully before going on your next hard training run or race. Also,icing the right calf would speed up healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! Good finnish - well done!
    You two are sooo sweet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations BroJ. Could the 42K be next? Take care of the calf. I know that Bong has had issues with his. Still a great time despite the cramps.

    The Milo drink must have sweet! Take care and an easy recovery week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats bro j! pasok sa cut-off! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the finish and making it within cutoff Bro J! Very nice! Just rest up and savor the nice run :) Worry about training next week hehe :)

    Cheers,
    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bong,Thanks. I feel better now.

    Thanks Liza, on july 19, we will be running together at the Run for Home 21K.

    Thanks Wayne, the stories posted by other bloggers are really inspiring that i am wanting to do a 42k soon.

    Hi Rod, yes! buti na lang umabot, hehehe

    Thanks Luis, my time was almost the same as my 21K at Condura Run 09. I'll try to do more of speed works in my training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Bro. J!!! I wish I was there but I'm still working on my preparations -- hope to do a good Globe Run For Home 21K!! At least it should be better than my Condura experience. Enjoy the accomplishment!!! Next year, I'll try the Milo myself!! See you at a race soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Johnny. See you at the Globe Run. Baby will running her first 21K. I think i saw last weekend at UP together with the Runnex Running Clinic? Wish you the best on your training.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Bro J! You made it, inspite of the cramps.

    Baby's running 21k already? Good luck to her. Sayang 10k pa lang ako. Sabay sana kami. You know naman, napahinga ako ng 5 months.

    See you both July 19!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi nora, hehehe napilit ko lang. I know you can do it, with strong will and determination ... kaya mo yan. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bro J, I can't find the Comment portion in your latest post Run for Home with Swthrt so I'll just leave my comment for that post here.

    Congratulations to Baby! And I'm sure she wouldn't have made it if not for your tender, loving support. Congrats to both of you. I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to meet last Sunday. Hopefully next race. Please e-mail me your contact #s at ndelr2003@yahoo.com so we could keep in touch easily.

    ReplyDelete