Monday, April 19, 2010

ESTEEM ENGINE

“‘Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?’ declares the LORD. ‘This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.’”
Isaiah 66:2

Sports provide the opportunity for glory. Single-handedly lead your team to victory, and the crowds will chant your name. Dominate your opponent, and the autograph lines will stretch for miles. Excel, and you will be called “MVP” and “All-Star.” Hockey fans hail “The Great One,” and many a boxer fell at the feet of “The Greatest.” These nicknames affirm that athletes can quickly find themselves flooded with praise. Everyone loves a winner, right?

Wrong. According to 1 Corinthians 1:26-31, God prefers losers. I am not saying He has reserved a special place in heaven for the 1991 Prairie View football team (they were in the middle of an 80-game losing streak), but He does choose to call the unwise, the non-influential, the foolish, and the weak. By giving wisdom to the foolish and strength to the weak, God obtains glory for Himself. That is the whole point of our existence! Sure, Wayne Gretzky and Muhammad Ali were fine athletes, but God has the only valid claim to greatness—He created the universe! With this proper perspective, it is easy to see that nothing we do of ourselves is that great. But when God does something great through you, give the honor and praise back to Him. Be a glory deflector!

—Alex Warner

4 comments:

  1. I like your "Glory Deflector" line. This is all so true. Do all things in his name and praise, and giving the glory away. Great Post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God that it ministered to you! Thanks for regularly visiting my site. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walang Anuman Bro J. I actually look forward to your next post. I am blessed by reading how you intertwine God and running (notice the order). I have you on my filipino blog roll side so I try not to miss out. Thanks for writing and keep up the inspiration Bro J. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love your post. May the Lord bless you as you minister to others. - Mariel :)

    ReplyDelete