Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not my distance

Mizuno Infinity Run 2008 was my first official race. As most newbie runners, I tried the 5K distance and was able to log in a decent time finish for a beginner. Last Sunday Mizuno 2010 gave me a chance to try the 5K distance once more. I was hoping to set a new PR on this distance or even better to do a sub30 finish time. The big crowd for the 5K distance was overwhelming. Our son JM and I positioned ourselves in front of the crowd.



I told JM to run with me until we reached Honda where Swthrt and Josh would be waiting to take some pictures. As we were released JM sped up and joined the fast runners. I tried to catch up with him but to no avail.

JM speeding up with me trying to catch up (please look for me)

I was already grasping for air even at the start of the race. I was having a hard time getting my rhythm and my heart was really pounding very fast. What made things worst was when I heard Jet P shouting “there’s my target” which forced me to hold on my pace but in the end brought me to reach my limit. Jet, you really know how to choose a target, ha ha ha. Anyway, I had to run-walk the rest of the course and managed to finish after 33 min. JM finished in 27 min.

Josh getting bored waiting for kuya and daddy

I will run a full marathon but never again will I join a 5K race (at least without any preparation). Last Sunday’s Mizuno run made me realized that 5K is not my distance.

Congratulations to Mizuno and to all the runners who have beat their time!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kuya,

    I have not run a marathon yet and 5K is my only distance ;)
    Belated happy birthday - I planned to call but got distracted and before I knew it late na ...

    Love,
    :) Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi bro j! it was more of "i target to be like you when i reach your age." di ko lang masabi nung sunday, i was gasping for air kaya short cut yung nasigaw ko hahaha!!!

    i really look up to you, and learned so many things in this sport through you and your blog. you really inspired me to run the race of life with faith and win by grace.

    see again on the road, idol bro j!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro J, for me, 5k's are... Stress! Hehe :) See you on the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bro J.

    I am so happy for JM. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jet, ok na yung target dinagdagan mo pa ng age, hehehe. Thanks , it's good to know others were encourage to continue to run a good race in life. God bless!

    Same with me Luis...see you running long distances, hehehe

    Thanks Anna, I'm happy and proud for JM too!

    ReplyDelete