Monday, October 11, 2010

Run for a cause: The Pasig River Run



Much has been said about the recently concluded largest environmental advocacy fun run in the country, the 10.10.10 Pasig River Run. Though I’m not sure as of this writing that we broke the world record as the most runners for an eco-footrace, I’m quite sure that this is the largest in the country.

About my foot- pain prior to this run, I was thankful that it was gone came Saturday. I woke up early on Saturday morning as we often do and told Swthrt that I will not run and have my foot rested. It was still painful that morning. But truly, God has His own way and even a great sense of humor of healing people. I was hoping that I can run on Sunday, for an environmental advocacy run, and God healed me while I’m dealing with nature. I was doing some gardening in our pocket garden and I noticed that the pain subsided and by the time I’m done I can walk and run pain-free. Praise God! Come Sunday I’m all set and ready to join the fun run for the Ilog Pasig.


Swthrt and I and some of our NAMRIA runners ran the 10K which started at Ayala Avenue. We had a good fun run which lasted up to Roxas Blvd wherein we shared the road with the 5k runners. It was here that we started to walk most of the time because of the multitude of people. It was noticeable that mostly were students taking part as a requirement for their NSTP (National Service Training Program) in their respective schools. It became chaotic upon reaching the compound of MOA wherein people would walk from all directions. On our way to the finish line, there were people walking on the opposite way. The crowd was just uncontrollable. Even the greatest race organizer will surely have a nightmare organizing this type of race. All this was expected with the number of registered runners. You just have to be prepared for it!

For me, one thing is clear! People will come and gather for one great cause. I’m just saddened by some negative comments, like it was poorly organized, or it should have been like these, or they should do these things. I myself witnessed and noticed details lacking in a good organized race but for whatever it was, I came to run for a cause and not to be served and be pleased. To all the runners who came and not mind the glitches and hustles along the way, I salute you all! We are all part of history.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Bro J. Until now, I still couldn't believe that the race was that organized, inspite of the 116,000+ runners/walkers. I, too, salute the organizers for doing an excellent job.

    Will you be joining 32K this Nov. 21? Hope to see you and Baby there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nora, long time no see! Hope to see you at the run united 2-32K, we will be there!

    ReplyDelete