Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Green light to Run

One reason why I turned into running as a form of exercise is that, I was previously diagnosed of having ischemic heart problem. This is due to a very high cholesterol level which may cause blockage in my arteries. Another cause could be my sedentary lifestyle. Though I sometimes do field work, I spent most of my work in front of the computer. Since I started running in 2008, there were some changes in my daily routine. Physically, I have reduced in weight and inches in my waistline especially in the early stages of my running experience where I peak on my trainings. I made significant increase in my HDL (good cholesterol level) and lowered the bad ones. But recently, I experienced some heart palpitations and easily get tired again. This sent alarming signals which push me to visit a cardiologist. Laboratory test have been made to set a new baseline data and my doctor recommended me for a complete work-up to assess my heart condition. This includes ECG, 2D echo and stress test.


Stress Test result:

The results indicated a high cholesterol level, high triglycerides and even though my good cholesterol was high, it was not enough to counter the bad ones. It’s a good thing I’m not diabetic. I still need to watch on my diet. I was guilty of indulging into fatty foods having a very bad justification of “I’ll burn them in running anyway”. 2D echo gave a good result but the stress test had otherwise. The stress test result was that I had an inducible ischemia. This worries me as I might not be able to do again strenuous exercises such as running. The good thing was that my doctor did not agree on the findings. According to her, she cannot fully commit that there was abnormality based on her own interpretation of the tracing (graph). For her, it could be an equivocal finding and further test should be done.

To validate this, she recommended me for another stress test with sestamibi (Myocardial Perfusion Imaging) at the nuclear medicine department. Sestamibi was a radioactive substance to be injected in my blood which allowed the doctors to trace oxygen flow in my heart through a scanning machine. This may be likened to an MRI. I was scanned at rest, and right after a treadmill workout, I did the stress condition. The result was I have a normal myocardial perfusion imaging and a good cardio respiratory fitness. No scintigraphic evidence of inducible ischemia.


Myocardial Perfusion Imaging Result:


.


God is great, God is good! I praise Him for restoring my health and giving me a good heart (literally). So with all the results in, my doctor and I will only be working now on lowering the bad cholesterols. And with Christmas just around the corner, I remind every runner to better watch out your diet with all the merry-makings and mega-loading meals serve at every party you attend and keep on running! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment