Sunday, July 3, 2011

Running for a hero

Today, July 2, 2011, Team JRunning  participated in another 21K race at the Yamaha Run for Heroes. The event aims to raise funds for the schooling of orphans of our soldiers who died in the line of duty. This will be coursed through the Heroes Foundation, which provides secured and consistent educational support for the children of departed soldiers from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

For us, this race was dedicated to one person who had been a hero not only to me but to my family.  My uncle Nomer, the youngest brother of my father who was also my godfather. I have good memories with him in my childhood. He would always bring home fried chicken from one of the best chicken houses in those days (if I remember it right, it was Kobe Fried Chicken). He was my artist who would draw for me in my school projects when I was in kindergarten. In my grade school graduation day, he even took me to a parlor and had my hair done, hehehe. Can you imagine me having curly hairdo? When he had his only family, he would always have me and my siblings in every occasion in their family. Ninong Nomer would always fetch us and bring us with his kids to Christmas shows held at the Araneta Coliseum, or bring us to the province with his kids for vacation. He brought us closer with his kids, Noel and Niel, whom I have become a big brother to them. Even in my college days, he would always provide for me for my studies. And when it was time for me to have my own family Ninong Nomer was still there to support me even while he was living with his family in the USA.


Now that he’s gone (he died last year while having a vacation here in the Philippines) and will be celebrating his birthday on July 5, we dedicate the Yamaha Run for Heroes to Ninong Nomer! 
   

1 comment:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes while reading this. Yes, Ninong Numer is one of our heroes. And we are blessed that his two sons take after him - they both have the same loving character that makes them wonderful.

    ReplyDelete