Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My GERD and running


In my previous post, I mentioned about me having Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD or acid reflux, is a condition in which the acidified liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up or refluxes) into the esophagus. 


I have tried to run several times around our village and have continued to experience chest pain that hinders me to run continuously. The burning sensation on my chest even radiates to my back and shoulders. I also felt some numbness on my head. It was really frustrating that I cannot even sustain a 500m continuous run. I just have to be contented in doing a brisk walk. In this manner I reduced the tightness that I felt in my chest. Have anyone of you experienced the same?

Last Saturday, 12 May 2012, I finally consulted a Gastroenterologist for medical intervention. I am now on my third day of taking Omeprazole daily 30 min to an hour before breakfast to control the acid reflux from my stomach. I will be taking this for at least a month before going back to my doctor. And as the doctor says, if symptoms persist endoscopy will be needed.  There’s also some diet restriction which includes tomato based foods, citrus fruits, chocolates and most especially coffee.  Eating small frequent meals is also suggested.

Hopefully, my conditions will be better in time for the Unilab Run United 2 which will be held on June 17 at SM Mall of Asia. Swthrt and I will run the 21K category which starts at the Bonofacio Global City and ends in SM MOA.

See you guys this coming June for the 2nd leg of the Run United Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment