Friday, June 19, 2009

Bro J Running: Looking back with a year of running experience

June 2008 marked the start of a change in my lifestyle. Although I started training in May 2008, I considered June as the start of my official entry to the running world. My first official race was the "Rush to Infinity Run 08" held at the Global City in Fort Bonifacio last June 29, 2008. Since then, I joined a number of races in different distances ranging from 5K to 21K. I have also experienced running in varied weather condition from hot and humid to downpour of rains. Running also served as a great bonding moment for Swthrt and me as well as with our kids. Swthrt and I have joined races and set new PRs together. We have also joined races, fun run and advocacy runs with our kids. The sports which I have enjoyed and loved has also opened opportunities to meeting new friends, discovering untapped capabilities and exploring new world. My circle of friends from time to time expands as I meet runners and coaches who have inspired and encouraged me in running. I have also discovered that I can actually compose and write an article (with a little help from a friend) and shared them through my blog site which I created for the world to see. This blogsite also serves as a venue to share my faith and the love of Christ being offered to everyone. As I continue on in this journey, let me share to you the highlights in my first year of running experience.


  • First official race was the "Rush to Infinity Run 08" (5k category)

  • My first long run was last August 02, 2008. I ran a distance of 10 km. from home to J. Vargas in C5 Road and back
  • I registered for the Men’s Health Miracle Run and ran my first official 10K race.
  • Nike+ Human Race was my first test of the dreaded Mckinley Hill route.

  • August 2008, Swthrt started running with me at UPD Academic oval


  • Adidas King of the Road 2008 was my first KOTR race (10K category), also my first time to run on the Buendia route.


  • “Mommy Milkshake Marathon 2008” was the first advocacy run with the whole family


  • The OctobeRun Festival organized by the Fort Striders Club, Inc. held at Fort Bonifacio last October 26 2008 served as a family’s first race. Swthrt and I joined the 5k while our two kids, JM and Josh ran the 3K.



  • The 32nd National Milo Marathon was my first experience of the biggest and grandest marathon event in the Philippines (10K category). It was also my first race ran along Roxas Blvd.

  • November 28, 2008, first time to run in an oval track and and joined the speed training with top coaches of Team Baldrunner at ULTRA


  • The Yakult 10-miler 2008 edition was my first 16K race.

  • My first out of town run together with Swthrt was in Batangas City. We ran a distance of 6K. Since then, we have increased the distance to 16K and then 21 K. This also has become our favorite activity every time we visit Swthrt’s folks in the province.

  • My first Half Marathon (21K) race was the 2009 Condura Run.


To all my friends who have rendered support and encouragement, thank you very much! My first year could have not been this exciting without you!
To Swthrt, thank you for the love and support!
God bless us all!

6 comments:

  1. wow, broJ, it's been a year na pala! pa-canton ka naman...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi bro j, reading your blog inspires me in my running. i started running in the treadmill gym last year, and my first road run is condura 2009. since then, i got hooked after discovering the joys of outdoor running.

    happy 1st year running anniversary to you. this blog entry made me excited as well for my 1st year running anniversary in march 2010.

    hope to meet you soon sir! God bless!


    jetpaiso.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. bro j! happy 1st year anniversary in running. we both started sa same race pala last year (mizuno). =) see you in future races! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, kitang kita naman ang transformation. Congratulations and see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ho BroJ. Congratulations on the one year anniversary! A lot has happened and you and Swthrt have come a long way. Continued success had God bless! I'll see you guys soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mae, thanks a lot. Kailan ka tatakbo? takbo na!

    Hi Jet thanks for visiting. Just keep on running!

    Happy anniversary to you Rod. See you at the races! God bless!

    Thanks Vener, thanks for the encouragements.

    Hi Wayne, thanks and it's always nice to hear from you. Hope you're doing well bro!

    ReplyDelete