Monday, February 2, 2009

Running in pain

It’s been hard to squeeze in our training schedules at ULTRA lately. Either we are not feeling well or there are important tasks to do. That’s why we are really craving for speed workouts. We had a short but good workout run (4K) at our office ground last Thursday night. We had to stay up late and wait for the coding ban hours. Last Sunday, Swthrt and I had a good 5 rounds (11K) at the UP academic oval. Our original plan was to run at Fort Bonifacio covering the regular 10K route for races but the sudden change of events lead us to UP. On our way there, we saw bunch of runners, BR’s runabout group along Katipunan Avenue. Their number seems to be growing and can be likened to a group of bikers every Sunday. Upon arriving at UP, the Takbong May Yabang race was already on its way. We saw blogger runners joining the event like Jinoe (manokan express) and Que, Vener (rununlimited), Anna (the meek runner) with her family, Dennis (running fatboy), Eric (run for change), Dra. Doray (doralicious), and coach Rio (runrio.com) among others. We also saw Lester on our way home. Anna even had our photos taken while we’re running. It was a good workout as Swthrt is trying longer distances during weekend runs. Hopefully, she will be able to build up her base mileage and gain confidence to join in a 10K race soon. Though there was still pain on her shin after running for several minutes she still manages to run well. I too, had several minor inconveniences lately like I had cramps on my toes after running beyond 7K. Sometimes it was accompanied by minor pain on the side of the feet. I only felt these in the recently concluded Happy Run Race and last Sunday’s run. Is this common to runners? I can feel that my feet get wider as I run. Could this be possibly true? he he he.

Photos by the meek runner, thanks Anna.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Bro J! It was really nice seeing you and your wife at UP :) After my long hiatus from running, it was good to see familiar faces.

    I must say, you look a lot younger :) The benefits of running :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi eric, Thanks. Nice to see you back in running. Hoping to see more of you in races! Keep on running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) The case of the incredible expanding feet! broJ, baka naman after a certain distance your feet will turn into wings na?! hehehe..
    Hope to see you and Swthrt at the ULTRA soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha, Sana nga para i can finish a marathon without any problem. Actually, it's only a justification for me to buy a new pair of running shoes, hahahaha. See you at the ULTRA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy running couple! Merong pain pa yan ha . . .

    Congrats for JM's achievement. You're truly blessed.

    Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks nora, di lang halata kasi maraming tao. Kailangan good running form pa rin kahit in pain, ha ha ha. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi BroJ. I don't know if a shoe associate ever told you this but after 30 minutes of running / walking, the feet expand. My advice would be to check the toe spacing in front of the shoe. If one has a thumbnail space from the edge of the largest toe to the end of the shoe, you're okay. If the toe is right at the end of the shoe, the size is too small.

    Regarding the cramping, it night be a lack of pottasium in the system. Over the last month in training for the half marathon, I ate a lot more bananas than during shorter races. I experienced no cramps during my workouts.

    Anyway, please take care. Say hello to Swthrt for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great you guys really find time to run together. Hubby and I do this too on weekends. Injured lang kami now. So inggit with pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi wayne, Thank you very much for the information. It was really a great help. I'll check on my toe spacing. I'll also try to eat more food reach in potassium. This reminds me of my history of having hypokalimia (low potassium level)because of hyperthyroidism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks mixednuts, i pray that you get well soon so that you and hubby can enjoy running together again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bro J. Hope everything's well and that you had a good weekend. Also hoping that the cramps are going away. Take care and have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete