Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A treat on the hills

The course of the RUNew Race last Sunday was a big challenge for runners. It was a treat testing one’s endurance and threshold on how to attack hills. It was a new course from Coach Rio, whose organizing skills continue to outsmart other events organizer. He continued to surprise every runner joining his events. This time, the race started at the McKinley Hill and passed through a double treat at Heritage Park. Congratulations to Coach Rio! It was another great and well organized race.

My run
As I will give the account on my run, I will try not to sound like making excuses for my relatively poor performance. Swthrt and I woke up at around 4:00am and prepared ourselves for the race. We arrived at MKH at around 5:00 am and met with friends. As the race comes to its start, I was not feeling well blaming it to a sore left calf and grumbling stomach. I was feeling butterfly on my stomach the night before the race. This was not my first 15K race and so I don’t think it was because I’m excited or tensed about the coming event. Anyway, I tried to get my composure and get ready for the race ahead. The gun was fired at 5:45 am for the 15K runners. During the first 3K of my run, I really felt uneasy and from time to time got goose bumps which I don’t know the reason why. After I got heated up, I was on with the race. I tried to keep a pace where I am comfortable to make sure that I can finish the race strong. As I make the U turn at the MKH-C5 I was feeling better. I saw Swthrt along the way. I managed to escape the MKH and proceeded along Lawton Avenue but I knew I was running at a very slow pace. I reached 6 Km marker at 40:00 min. At this point, I knew I will not be able to break my PR or even equal it. I decided to take it easy so as not to aggravate the pain I was feeling on my left calf. I was able to maintain my pace and did not walk even on uphill portion of the course. I sometimes tried to target other runners ahead for me to pass by. Sorry folks, just trying to pick-up my pace. Entering the right side of Heritage Park was new for me,. I reached the 8 Km marker inside the park at 53:10. I entered the other side of HP at 1:00 hr and managed to run through it in 6 minutes. As I left the HP, I was thinking that it will only be a few more kilometers. Reaching the 14Km marker at 1:34 was a relief. I told myself, one more K and I’m done. I reached the MKH turning with 1:38 on my watch and tried so hard to at least finish below 1:40 but missed it. My time – 1:41:46. I don’t feel bad about it. It gave me inspiration to strive more. I met Swthrt who ran 5K at 34:22. It was good race for her considering her first time to run at MKH chopping off a few seconds from her best time. Afterwards, we got our camera and took some time to meet with friends and have some souvenir photos.




This race reminds me of a lesson of not trusting on your own ability but of seeking God’s guidance and trusting and obeying His instructions. Running 15K race several times can not guarantee that I can rely on what I did the last time I’ve been through it. In the spiritual race in life, I can not be boastful of overcoming trials or problems by having “been there and done that” mentality. In every situation, I must seek the will of God and learn the lessons according to his ways. I must always be sensitive of His leading and understanding his plan for me. I may want to break a PR but if God will not allow it I can not do anything about it. I will just have to understand His better plans for me at the moment. As my tag line will put it, “the race of life is ran by grace and won by faith”. God bless us all!

8 comments:

  1. it was a really tough route. having hills at the beginning, middle oh and the end is no joke. congratulations is still in order :P - bards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bards! It was really tough. Kailangan maging friend na kami ng MKH, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great run Bro J! We just have to trust God in everything as He makes all things work for the good of those who love Him (Rom VIII:28). Looking forward to meet you and your sweetheart in the future races.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks kinderdorf for visiting and for the encouragement. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing finish Bro J. Hope to see you this March 22 at the Condura 21 kms...

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks runnerforchrist! see you at the condura race. God bless you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bro J congrats on your finish, unfortunately I didn't see you at the finish line, see you at Condura and God bless!

    ReplyDelete