Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How far can we go running?

When I haven’t entertain yet the thought of running a marathon two years ago, I seldom notice people running on the streets. When I started running in the summer of 2008, I noticed more and more warm bodies are running during early mornings while on my way to the office. Nowadays, more people are hooked into running. I noticed a significant increase in the number of runners in Fort Bonifacio (particularly in BHS) and UP Campus Diliman doing their regular trainings. In the latter part of 2008, Swthrt and I attended a running clinic conducted by Team Bald Runner in ULTRA track oval which was held during night time. These places are frequented by runners for safety and security purposes. Most of these are runner-friendly places, well- lighted, and ideal for doing a training run. Before, people used to run in the early morning, but today, you can see runners training at night. There was even a race held at night last year.

Last night, Swthrt and I were on our way to Pier 2 to pick up our household help who spent a vacation in Bacolod. To our surprise and envy, we saw runners doing training in the busy streets of the metro. One was along Ortigas near Santolan Rd, the other one at E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave. near Christ the King Church at around 6:30 in the evening. What was more surprising on our way home was to see the last runner at around 9:00 in the evening along Gilmore St. in New Manila. Running has really become the “craze” today but how far can we go in running? Do we just run anywhere, or on places where more runners converge as I previously mentioned? Do we run alone or with a buddy? Do we run on the road or trails? No matter what your answers are, we share the same passion… the love of running.
Swthrt running at night at UPD acdemic oval.

5 comments:

  1. Love of running indeed Bro J :) I believe that the running scene here is far from maturity, and can only grow more in the next few years :) Better for us, as I'm confident this would result in better technology, gear, and higher race quality down the line. See you at Condura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely right on that insight BroJ. Iam currently in Samal Island for an RBM Training, and I just can't help but squeeze in my runs despite the tight schedules; both in the morning and evening, i even ran yesterday after our night session at 9PM together with my 2 colleagues. It's great to run in unfamiliar places too, especially in the countrysides, where the breeze is crisp and the air very clean. Add to that of course the friendly faces of people smiling at you wondering what in the world you are doing (Hahahahaha) and the surrounding environment. WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Essence of Running is being able to run anytime, anywhere (almost), and with anyone (almost again). Great Post. I will (btw) gladly share my weather with you for a few weeks at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, keep on running my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally right. No one can touch the bound created through the passion for running :)

    ReplyDelete