Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lessons learned from my first full marathon

Taking on the challenge of running a marathon is really, really tough. After a gradual mileage build-up for two year s, I felt it’s about time to run the full marathon. I am making this post not to justify the outcome of my performance but rather to gain insights and see areas of improvements for me to become a better runner.
Pre race
Great physical challenges require great physical preparations. In the 2010 Condura Run, though I may not have a rigid training program, Swthrt and I regularly run longer on weekends and would try very hard to squeeze in weekday training whenever possible. Our usual goal for our weekend runs would be 10-15K or we would sometimes aim for one hour to a maximum of two hours run. These may have been a factor since my legs were not accustomed to run more than three hours. I got two long runs that last for four hours that made me confident, but it would have been better if I have more long distance runs. As they say, Consistency in training is the key to a better performance. The best way to strengthen our leg muscles is to run, run and run. Another issue with regard to physical preparation is the body weight. I have read once that there is an equivalent reduction in time for every lbs lost in the body weight of a runner. I just don’t remember the proportion. After losing weight from 198 lbs to 180lbs, my body weight plateaud at this level. 180 lbs for a 5 feet seven frame was still way above my BMI. There could be two ways to improve on this. One is to have a strict diet and the other one is to increase on training in terms of mileage, intensity or incorporate cross training program.
With regard to mental preparedness, I think it is one’s will and determination that matters most. If I may quote a line from the movie Spirit of the Marathon, “sometimes what challenges us the most, defines us. The question of whether or not I will continue and finish the race may not come across my mind as a newbie marathoner. The last 10K of the full marathon really defines whether I will continue the race or not. All factors such as fatigue, heat exhaustion, and hunger would lean towards quitting and only great determination and trust in God, who has given me the ability to run this far pushed me through. On the practical side, watching motivational movies on running such as Spirit of the Marathon, reading success stories of first time marathoners, the encouragements of friends and family, and the 100% support of Swthrt helped me in my mental preparation.

Race Day
A good game plan plays an important factor on race day. Several days before the race, I have layout a plan on how I will run my first marathon. I had my target time consisting of several options.
5:00 target – aiming high, a “dream target”
5:15 target – a tough challenge considering the type of course
5:30 target- still tough but doable


I even had my splits time tables for all these target options.




But one big issue here is that, did I follow the game plan? The answer is “NO”. Though I am very much happy with my finish time, it could have been better if I stick to my plan. It could have made the difference. My actual split time was



I was too fast on my first 30K. Anyway, there is still a room for improvement. I have to learn how to distribute my energy to last the whole 42K course. But for now let me savor the joy of finishing a marathon.


right after finishing the race ( photo by Xty)


with Vener and Jonel



To all my friends who have made my dream of running the marathon a reality – Thank you very much for the support and encouragement.

To all the runners who greeted me before and after the race, and to those who ran with me even only in some portions of the course – Thank you for keeping me sane, hehehe

To my personal running coach at the office, George – Maraming Salamat Guru George for introducing me to the sport of running.

To our Hosanna family who prayed that we may have a safe and enjoyable race- Maraming Salamat!

To the organizer of the Condura Run 2010 – Thank you for making my first marathon race a reality. Congratulations and more power to you!

1 comment: