Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Run in the Sky by Swthrt


“We never know how high we are till we are called to rise; and then, if we are true to plan, our statures touch the skies.” – Emily Dickinson


The last Condura 21K run was my first long run without my “dream-chaser” (word borrowed from TBR) by my side. I know that this is something cheesy, but BroJ is my personal coach, my motivator and my “pusher” with regards to running. And when he decided to try his first full marathon on this year’s Condura, I was left with the decision to run without him or never run at all. But love for running prevailed. I decided to run by myself. I was able to convince one of my office associates to run with me. And we did run together from starting line up to ramp of Skyway. But later, she started to slow down. I tried to wait for her but eventually she let go of me. Then I have to run by myself. I have to conquer my fears!

Running in the Skyway was something new to me. I have ran the McKinley Hills several times, same with Kalayaan Flyover. Both are very challenging, but I was not sure what to expect in Skyway… Yes, of course, I have heard a lot of stories from previous Condura Run. But to have a personal feel and experience about is something I’m not sure whether I will enjoy or condemn it. Along Skyway, I started to run at an easy relaxed pace, too cautious not to bonk. I guess that was when I missed the “pushing” of my “coach”. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the sight of early morning sunrise. I have to enjoy the slopes. I enjoyed waving to all the returning runners whom I know, in the other side of the road. I was even thrilled to see our big man in the company, FZAyala, running in the opposite direction. I also enjoyed looking down at EDSA, trying to calculate how far more was the Honda Makati (one of our branches). I was also delighted to see the “shower station” provided by Manila Water but refused to get wet for the fear that I might get blisters and chaffing. In no time at all, (at least, I’ve never noticed the distance), I was already at the 21K turning point. The 1st half of the race was just completed!

And here came the challenge! The thought of having to run another 10K+ going back was something to deal with. But I have resolved to finish strong. I have to embrace each moment. I started to feel the stiffness of my calves and legs. But the thought of backing out never dawned on me. Good people from Takbo.ph and Reinier Pacific Aid Station were giving spray liniment. That was a blessing! Plus, the banana given by the girls and the encouragement from Mr. Amado and Jinoe all helped. While I was threading the stretch of Buendia, I was already contemplating on the challenge of going back to Kalayaan Flyover. Based on my previous races, returns via this hilly route were really tough. And indeed, that was tough. I have to run in small steps, and walked several times. But I was already looking forward to the finish line which was around 1K to go. And those pains and difficulties became surmountable. What mattered to me at those moments was the thought of completing my goal. And the experience was made even wonderful after receiving my medal! This was something I offered up to God for His Glory. Since all of my races are dedicated to Him!

Afterwards, I waited for my other officemates and eventually waited for BroJ to witness his first Full Marathon Finish! Thank you for the inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. congratulations swthrt! yesterday's street party was awesome! it was my first time in the skyway too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Baby! so nice to see you!

    ReplyDelete