Monday, November 24, 2008

Preparing for a greater challenge continues…

Swthrt and I did our usual evening run last Friday at UP doing 2 rounds (4.4k). Saturday morning, we woke up early for our scheduled long run. My objective was to do 10 miles in preparation for my Yakult 10-miler race on December 7, 2008. I always do simulation runs whenever I join longer races which I have never ran before. This will be my first 10 miler since I was not able to join the recently concluded VSO 15k race. On the other hand, Swthrt who is slowly building her endurance, did 4 rounds (8.8k). We arrived at UP before 6:00 am. I run with Swthrt for the first 2 rounds, in which afterwards she told me to go on my pace because she felt pain on her knee and shin. She needed some walk breaks. The pain did not stop her from doing her goal, while I continued my run. My mistake was that I had only my water breaks on the first round, missing the second up to fourth round. On the fifth round, I really felt thirsty. I also had a pain on my right foot after running about 10K which I supposed cause by my old socks. It was like I was stepping on pebbles inside my shoes. This slowed me down. Nevertheless, I finished my goal of 16K with the time of 1:53:00. It was fulfilling even though I felt really tired. In the evening we had an active recovery of 2 rounds walking at UP together with our friends before going to our worship meeting. On Sunday, Swthrt and I were supposed to run at Fort Bonifacio and spend time with the bloggers who will be participating at the UNICEF race. Instead, we ran at UP with our friend Chiqui, who regularly runs with us every Sunday morning. She wanted to run after being absent for a couple of weekends because she attended a conference. Swthrt and Chiqui finished their goal of 4 rounds(8.8K) while I ran 10K. It was another fully loaded weekend workout for us. Today will be our rest day!
Congratulations to the runner-bloggers who run at the UNICEF race and the other two races that was held last Sunday. Hope to see you this weekend at the Milo race! Just keep on running!




I had my longest run last Saturday. Doing it made me experience different kinds of pains, feelings and emotions. I had back pains, which indicated that I have to strengthen my core. I had pain on my legs and on my right foot. I also felt light-headed at some point may be because of insufficient hydration and even wanted to give up especially towards the end of my goal. It was really an experience. It made me realize then that even in our spiritual walk, we experience different types of trials. God allowed us to experience pain. He allowed us to go through different emotions. All these will strengthen us, build our faith and prepare us for greater challenges…to learn the lessons God want us to learn. For our God is a loving God and He wants us to be victorious in every race that we are in. God bless us all!

4 comments:

  1. Hi BroJ. The preparation looks good for Yakult with the 10 mile workout. The title says it all.

    Hope things are going well and will check in from time to time. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the dedication and the discipline plus people who support you in your goals so am sure you will do well my friend. See you at the races!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Bro J. Ready ka na sa 10-miler. I won't be running there, but will be at the event for support. See you at Milo. Run easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne, everything is going well as planned. Hoping to gain more confidence going the race. Thanks for the support.

    Jay,I thank the Lord for the strength He gave me every training sessions. And I thank Him for my family and friends like you who continue to support me. Thank you very much! See you at the races!

    Vener, thanks for the support! See you at Milo race. It will be my tune up race for the yakult. I pray for your safe run on Sunday and go for it pre!

    ReplyDelete