Thursday, November 6, 2008

To run or not to run?

That is the question. After finally deciding on running a distance of 15k race, I’m again in a dilemma of whether doing it or not with my present condition. I have been under the weather since last week. My cough and colds which I posted earlier has developed into flu. This makes me feel weak and my whole body aching. I’m into medication right now that will end until Friday night. Further, I was not able to run this weekend. My last run was last Thursday night, a recovery 5K run. Now I felt that I’m not in my tip-top shape to do a 15K. Previously, I have ran four 10Ks and I thought this is the perfect time for me to move up. Questions are running into my mind. Will I be able to do it? Will I be putting myself at risk? What should I do to have a fast recovery from flu? Or maybe I will just run the 5K instead.

10 comments:

  1. Bro J... I suggest that you take time to rest and recuperate first. Anyways, there will be more 15Ks to come...even 21k or more... don't be too hard on yourself... suggest also that you just bring your SLR on Sunday and be a good photographer to all the runners/bloggers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for run the 5K and get some rest. Take Care. Love, Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't rush things as this is dangerous. there are still more races to conquer. missing one race won't hurt. take enough rest and when you've recovered, you can start a slow recovery training until you're back it tip-top shape.(early to)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its always best to listen to your body. better to miss one race than get sidelined for a long time. but i hope you will feel better come race day, malay mo pag gising mo race ready na your body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous, that is a good idea... taking finisher photos of runner bloggers.

    Liza, thanks and we love you too. regards to B and the kids.

    (early to), thanks pre, God bless you on your New Balance Race! Hope to see you in future races soon.


    Bards, thanks a lot and show your best running form on sunday... i may be taking finisher photos again, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking pictures is always my plan B in case I'm not healthy enough to run a race. I suggest you take it easy first. You may want to ease back into running after you recover from your flu, just do an easy run first before you start hammering it. Take care and get well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dindo, i guess plan B is up...Swthrt and i will run slow and easy tonight for recovery but i will be at VSO as support to Swthrt who will be running 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best option here is to listen to your body, if you feel you can't do it by this time, REST. Relax and have a day-out. Its better to be slightly undertrained,but feeling strong and eager, than to be overtrained. The trick is finding that fine line between the two. Kita tayo sa VSO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi bro j. i think nasabi na lahat nila and i agree with all of them. see you tomorrow where 5K, 10K or 15K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. broj, thank you for the picture taking.had i known, i would have struck a winning pose.see you!

    jonel

    ReplyDelete