Monday, January 19, 2009

Bullish run at the PSE Bull Run


The PSE Bull Run was my first race for the year. I knew many commented on the good and bad points of the race but I chose to write more on my performance. Swthrt and I arrived at the assembly area at around 5:00 am. We parked our car at The Fort Parking lot fronting the assembly area and then began our pre-race rituals. We both had a bar of Trailmix for breakfast. My personal goal on this race was to hit or even break the 60min barrier for my 10K. I felt strong that day even with a few hours of sleep. It’s probably my adrenaline pumping up and getting excited for the race. We positioned ourselves to our respective race category. I checked-in with the 10K runners while baby went to the assembly area for the 5K event. As the race started, I tried to pace my run so as not to burn me out in the early part. I already felt dryness on my throat at the start maybe because of the cold weather. The good thing is that there were sufficient water stations. I also felt a little pain on my calf but it did not bother me that much because I knew it will disappear after sometime as my body begins to warm up. After the first water station, I felt better and continued to maintain a good pace. I reached the first turn around without any problem. Running along Bayani Road was a bit harder because of the vehicles trying to outrun runners. I observed that marshals were not effective in controlling the motorists in the area. It was along Bayani Road that my cousins caught up with me and we ran together keeping pace with each other. I reached the C5 turn around point at 32:03 min. I was already thinking of running faster to reach my sub-1 hour goal. It was a good thing that Kuya Hector, also with the speed training of Team Baldrunner, and Alwyn ran strong that day. I was able to keep pace with them. Upon reaching the Lawton Avenue, I felt a slight pain on my lower back. Fatigue is starting to set in. I’m beginning to drop my shoulders and felt of having a side stitch. I tried to adjust my running form so as not to have that side stitch attack. I was still at pace with Kuya Hector and have passed several runners. Honestly, it was a good feeling to know that you can still push it even at this point. As we reached Essensa, I asked Kuya Hector if we could still hit the 60min time. We picked-up our pace and as we reached the finish line my time registered 59:59 min. burying my 1:05 previous PR. Though it’s unofficial, I knew I have improved my performance. It was truly a bullish run. I Praise God for protecting us from any injury and the strength to run. Thanks to the speed training with Team Baldrunner. Thank you to our coaches, Captain Coach Ferdie Espejo and Coach Sid Salazar. More PRs during the next race. Hehe.

At the finish line, I was told that Swthrt also got her new PR of 34:05 min for the 5K. She got an almost equal 17:04 and 17:01 min split.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats to both of you, 'ganda nang umpisa natin huh. More power and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro J,

    Congrats to the lovely couple!

    Sana mag meet na tayo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bro J! Looks like your running is getting stronger! Congrats on your run! Regular ka ba sa mga sessions ni Baldrunner? I'll try to join next month as soon as I build up my base training. See you next race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro J, congrats to you and to swthrt! Sayang I didn't get the chance to meet Baby last Sunday. Will you be joining Happy Run? I will accompany my 2 kids run/walk the 3k race.

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi meek runner, oo nga. There will more races to come. I'm sure magkikita din tayo.

    Hi Gene, we regularly attend the tue session and if our sched permits we attend the fri or sat morning training. It really helps if your in a training with a group. Nahihila ka ng mabibilis, hehehe. Hope to see you in training.

    Hi nora, we will be there. Cguro naman magkikita na kayo ni Baby. See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats Bro J. Good start for the year huh? keep on running and breaking PRs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks dennis, good to see you at ULTRA yesterday. See you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bro J congrats sakto talaga yung sub60 mo I'm sure pababa na time mo in your next 10k, hope to see you on Sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks sundaywarrior, pilit na pilit nga eh, hahaha. see you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete