Monday, January 26, 2009

Running happy

It was a happy run during the Happy Run last Sunday. Runners gathered early with enthusiasm and excitement. Swthrt and I woke up early to have breakfast for this race because I will be running the 15K. I’m not used to eating solid foods early in the morning. At least two mugs of freshly brewed coffee is enough to perk me up in the morning. We arrived at the BHS early enough for warm-up and stretching. We saw the husband and wife team, Vener and Christy at the parking lot near R.O.X.. As expected, the event was well-attended and well-organized. Congratulations to Coach Rio and to Drew Arellano who have conceptualized this race for the benefit of school children of Bagong Tanyag Elementary School in Taguig City.

The race
At the sound of the starting gun, the runners were off to a good start. I was feeling strong at the early stage which was a good sign. It was my first time to bring a bottle of vitwater for hydration. I’m quite sure that there will be adequate water stations but I have noticed in my past races that I usually had dry throat even before reaching the first water station. The strategy seems to work as I was able to reach the Essensa area (probably K2) with ease. I skipped the first water station and maintain a consistent pace going to the Bayani Road. I saw Bards along Bayani Road and told me that she will be maintaining a pace 5:30 to 6:00. I decided to keep paced with her. We arrived at the 5K marker at 29:52. At this point, I thought that if I can hold on to this pace I will be able to achieve my goal of 1:30:00. As I entered the Heritage Park I was already feeling pain on my feet and my toes getting stiff. The park was a welcome treat for runners with its serenity and smoke free surroundings. There were also challenging part of the place that we have to negotiate. As we get out of the park, I have consumed the vitwater and had to refill the container with Hidden Spring water provided at the water station. I also had to pour water over my head to freshen me up. As we make our way to Bayani Road, Bards told me that we can hit 1:00 hr the 10K marker which was good news for me. This validated the time I set in the recently concluded PSE Bull Run. Upon reaching the Lawton Avenue, I started to feel pain on my back and fatigue starts to set in. I was able to sustain the pace until we reached the turning point entering the McKinley Hills. I was already conditioning my mind that it will be a few more Ks and it will be over. As we reached the first ascent of the Mckinley I started to slow down. Bards tried to push me but to no avail. The MKH was killing me. I was trying to make it to the last turning point near the British embassy and tried to fight back but MKH is eating me. I had to make short walk breaks and used all the energy within me to give the final push. I made it back to Lawton Ave. and reached the 14K marker at 1:26:47. With all the energy left in me, I ran the last 1K in 5:54 and clocked an unofficial time of 1:32:41 for my first 15K race. I was not able to run MKH the way I wanted it to be but I had a happy run having set a good performance and PR based on my last 16K race last year. To MKH there will always be a next time.

The happy times
It was fun to have entertainment along the race route. There were dragon dancers, ati-atihan and even an orchestra inside the Heritage Park. There were lots of water and sports drinks, freebies and the mood was very festive. Overall, it was a happy, successful and well-organized race.

Areas for improvements
As I prepare for my main goals for this year of running my first half marathon, I found out some areas for improvements. First, I really need to build up my base by increasing mileage per week. Second is to do exercises for upper body and core muscles and lastly, I think it’s time to conquer the hills. Guys, any suggestions on the best places to train for the hills?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations BroJ! That was an amazing run. You've made great progress in your running already, all that hard work is paying off now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro. J, nice meeting you and Swthrt at the race. Since you're a regular at UPD, try the heartbreak hills. The routes around UPD are mostly sloping terrains. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Bro J. I don't think I can add much from what Dindo and Vener have said. Obviously, the speed workouts with Team Bald Runner are helping right now.

    Take care and have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dindo, thanks. I surprised too of the big improvement in running. I praise God for it!

    Hi vener, you and christy are inspiration to me and swthrt. Hopefully, we can run as strong as you guys.

    Hi Wayne, Thanks a lot. Training with a group really helps a lot. I just thank the Lord that he allows us to have people around us to help and share their expertise in running. I hope youyr having a great time too in running! God bless bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See you at Condura Half Marathon ha :-) I'm sure you're more than ready to run that, even if the race were moved to this Sunday already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! buti na lang sa march pa! See you at Condura Half Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! buti na lang sa march pa! See you at Condura Half Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PaceMate! It was great running with you on Sunday. Congratulations on the great finish! Charging up the hills was fun, di ba :P

    I think that MKH and Bayani Road is still the best place to train for the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salamat ka-pace, Bards! Hope i can do better on MKH next time! See you next race!

    ReplyDelete