Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Runner’s knee

The running boom in the Philippines is so tremendous that road races are scheduled almost every weekend. I have seen more and more people running in the morning and afternoon on my way to the office. More places have become venues for group runs. With all these happening, one common problem arises, the runner’s knee. There are several persons I know are suffering from this. Last night while I was reading an old issue of Runner’s World Magazine dated July 2007, I read an article regarding this topic. I’m not an expert but I felt I need to share this as runner. Some of you may know these or have read about it but I think it is still worth sharing especially to the new runners experiencing this problem.

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome which is also known as the runner’s knee for obvious and unfortunate reason of being common among runners. The stress of running can cause irritation where the kneecap (Patella) rests on the thighbone. The resulting pain can be sharp and sudden or sometimes dull and chronic. It may disappear while you are running and return again afterwards. There may be several causes to blame but it can often be traced back to poorly conditioned quadriceps and tight hamstrings. Having weak quads may not be able to support the patella which may lead it to track out of alignment. The tight or inflexible hamstrings can put pressure on the knee.

Suggestions were given such as adding strengthening and stretching to your routine. Quad strengthening exercise will help develop the front, inside and outside of your thigh. For more discussions on this topic click here

2 comments:

  1. Bro J, thank you for this very valuable info.

    See you and Baby this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Kuya I was looking at the list of races you've already done - great accomplishments! I am so proud of you. Now I need to keep up - medyo tamad mag training ako but I am inspired by your accomplishments so I'll try again. Si Ate Baby humahabol na din :)

    ReplyDelete