Monday, October 20, 2008

10K Paa-Bilisan Road Race Series

Friday night run
Swthrt had a meeting at their Global City branch last Friday. She was excited because she was able to go home early in time for our Friday evening run. We dropped-off Josiah at home and proceeded to UP, our regular training ground. On our way to UP, Swthrt remembered that we needed to fetch JM at school because he had a practice in Tree-atro class for their recital this first semester. We were quite disappointed as we have to cancel our scheduled run for the night. When we arrived at JM’s school at around 6:30 pm, we learned that their practice will be up to 7:30 pm in the evening. We immediately went back to UP since the school is near. We had enough time to do short 3K tempo run.

Run details: Distance: 3.01K Time:21:21 Pace: 7:03min/k

After the run, we went back to JM’s school and fetch him. At least we had a good run for the night.

Saturday runs
This time I knew that Swhrt had already re-invented herself into a runner. Swthrt knew that I will be tapering on Saturday because I’m joining the 10K Paa-Bilisan Race on Sunday morning. I felt that she wanted to run on Saturday morning, so I asked her if she wanted to go to UP to run. She gladly said yes and get herself ready to go. Swthrt did 2 rounds at the academic oval (total of 4.4K). I timed her run and got a split time of 15:00 min for the first round and 16:00 min on the second. As if Swthrt was not contented with her morning run, she then again joined our friends in the evening to run another 4.4K easy run. This time she did an almost equal split time of 17:00 min. Hooray for swthrt!


10K Paa-Bilisan Race
We arrived at BHS at around 5:15 am. Upon entering the parking lot near the starting area, we saw my cousins Kuya Hector and Alwyn getting ready for the race. There were quite a big number of runners who showed up for the race. It was unexpected since there was a race Saturday morning at Alabang and another race at Roxas Boulevard. I also noticed that the race organizers have set-up a smaller assembly area which is half of the usual starting boxes in the previous races that I have joined.

This made all the runners squeeze into the starting area. My cousins and I positioned in the middle of the starting area. After the opening ceremony, the gun was fired. The 10K and 5K runners were released at the same time. Honestly, I’m hoping to finish strong in this race and break the 60min time. I’m quite familiar with the route and confident that I can do it. I started at a faster pace hoping to sustain it till the end. I don’t have any problem doing the first round except for the lack of drinking water at the water stations. The sun was up and the heat was really draining the runners. As I took the right turn to Serendra, I saw Bards, aka Banana running. We had a few chat. She even asked about Swthrt, who was with me to give support but did not run. Bards went on as she was keeping pace with another runner. I was able to grab a bottle of water at the 5K mark across the starting line and brought it till the end. I also took notice of my time which was 30:00 min at first loop. As I approached the turning point near the Essensa I saw Bugobugo who waved at me. I again saw Bards who cheered on. These gestures really give encouragement to runners to go on strong. After the turn around point near Essensa I got my second wind which I would normally knew if I had that big burp, hahaha what a sign. When I reached Serendra on my second loop I looked at my watch and saw that I was already running over 60:00min.


I gave the final push and finished with an unofficial time of 1:06:00, almost same time with my Adidas KOTR 10K where I PRed. I was quite disappointed with my finishing time, since the KOTR’s route had more uphills as compared to this race. What could be the culprit? Do I need more speedworks during my trainings or am I just burned out doing back-to-back weekend races? Any suggestions?


After the race I got the chance to meet Vener (rununltd), Taki (techspech), and Dennis (runningfatboy).

IceOne (Overdrive), Vener (rununltd), Bro J (J Running), Taki (Techspech), Tolits, Dennis (runningfatboy)

with Christine (Vener's wife, i hope i got the name right), Mae (in my own views),and Swthrt (Baby)

We had a few chat and some photo ops. Swthrt and I had to leave early because we have to go to church. I will be leading the congregational worship. I thank the Lord for a great race and the wonderful people (bloggers) I have met. God bless and see you at the next race.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats Bro. J. That was a wonderful run despite a hot morning. I also pushed myself to the max that day and I'm satisfied with my result. Its nice meeting you too and your family.

    Try some more fartlek and push for more. You can do it, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro J,

    It was nice meeting you and your swthrt. :) I'll see you again hopefully this Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi bro j. it was still a good run. madami pang races. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vener, thanks. It was really nice meeting you too. It's just that we have to leave early to go to church. Anyway, more races to come and we will meet again. Hope to see you too at UP on weekend runs. Regard to Christine (did i got the name right?)

    Taki, Nice meeting you too!Were you able to grab our photos? See you next race.

    Hi ibetlacbay, didn't see you last Sunday. Hope to meet you soon. I know it was still a good race. Maybe i'm just too eager to break the 60min time, hehehe.

    God bless to all runners/bloggers. See you next race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi broj, 1:06 is very good, sa octobeRun ka na lang ulit try for PR. it was probably the heat that did us in last sunday. consistent training lang yan ... and i agree with vener speedworkouts like fartleks and tempo really help with speed. see you sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bards, thanks for the encouragement. I know it's a good time, marami pa ko pupudpurin na sapatos, hehehe. Eager lang to beat 60min time, hahaha. I'll be running with Swthrt sa 5K this Sunday. The kids also like to join, probably the 3K event. Kaya family bonding ito! See you Sunday. God bless you on your training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BroJ, congratulations on your run. Vener and Bards are correct - you need to build endurance with long runs, and speed with tempo and intervals. Be patient though, avoid getting injured by working on either endurance or speed first, not both. Good luck, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bro J. Congratulations on the 10km. I don't always compare one course with another. Sometimes, humidity and the weather are factors as is the difficulty of the course. I afree with Vener regarding fartlek if not running on the track. You'll know the difference.

    Take care and I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dindo and Wayne, Thanks. I have to agree to add more fartlek and tempo run in my training schedules. I was only focused on building my endurance and doing less of speedworks. Thank you guys.

    Dindo, will you be running on Sunday? Hope to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bro J, I'll be out of town this weekend so I'll skip this sunday's race. The only one so far I will surely join is New Balance at Clark. Then Unicef. I will try VSO too on Nov. 9. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats Bro J. Nice meeting you! Regardless of what you felt, I still think you had a good time that day. :) Till the next run...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1:06 is still impressive, Bro J! Don't be so hard on yourself. There are a dozen reasons why we tend to run faster or slower. No condition will be the same for each race. It could be overtraining or lack of a specific type of preparation or simply difference in weather.

    Hope to see you and your whole family in the OctobeRUN. It's so sweet of you to run 5k with your darling Baby. She's so lucky to have you as her partner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was nice meeting you too running fatboy. Thanks for the ecouragement, i know it's still a good time, masyado lang ako nag expect for my performance. I'm ok now.

    Hi nora, thanks. well, i guess masyado lang akong hot to beat the 60min time,hehehe. But i feel better now with the encouragments from other runners/bloggers. See you on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete